He stood on stage for a little over 15 minutes answering questions, but shortly thereafter, Husky…
Coach Sark on KJR
- Have a barber shop right outside the locker room. Just trying to keep the locker room clean and sharp, so if it helps to bring in some barbers to get the guys looking right if that's what they want, it's an easy thing to do.
- On the new Chrome Helmets…they have been working on them for over a year now. Want to continue to respect the UW tradition but also do something classy for 2013. Not sure when or where they will wear them, but they are a reality.
- On injury updates. Just had a big meeting two days ago with all the guys coming off ACL's, like Hauoli Jamora, Colin Tanigawa, Deontae Cooper, Lawrence Lagafuaina, etc… and all of them will be full-go by the start of fall camp. Have to definitely monitor each one individually to make sure they are okay, but all are on track. Said that Pio Vatuvei might be slightly behind because his surgery was a little later than the others, but he'll be ready. Also said they'll monitor Travis Feeney because of his shoulder surgery, but he's also good to go.
- On the offensive line…They were hit hard when Colin Porter wasn't cleared because of his shoulder issues, and then they lost Tanigawa and Riva… guys had to step up. So now they have eight guys that have started multiple games last year. Still no seniors, so the future is looking bright.
- On the defensive line…Thought Danny Shelton played as well the second half of spring as they've seen since any DL since they've been here outside of maybe Daniel Te'o-Nesheim. Getting Jamora back will be big, as well as the younger guys like Connor Cree have to step up. Josh Shirley, if you look at his numbers after two years, he's done a nice job. Hopefully we'll see a big jump in his play, as well as Cory Littleton. Also bringing in three guys in Marcus Farria, JoJo Mathis and Elijah Qualls that could make an impact, and they also have guys like Feeney that can get around the edge.
- On breakout guys…It's funny because there's so much focus on the guys that played the year before you kind of forget about the guys waiting their turn in line. Last year we saw a breakout with Travis Feeney and Marcus Peters. Excited to see Cleveland Wallace and Brandon Beaver. Offensively, excited to see Dwayne Washington to see what he can do.
- On the new guys….LEAP program starts Sunday, they check in Saturday. Excited to see the three young WR's. Jermaine Kelly and Patrick Enewally on defense, Lavon Coleman and David Ajamu on offense are guys that might be able to do something for us right away. Very excited about the class, love the balance and athleticism. Troy Williams is already on campus and he's a tremendous talent.
- All the players outside of Andrew Basham have been admitted to the University, now just have to wait to make sure they get cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse. On our end, we all know they are all NCAA qualified, just have to wait to get that stamp of approval to make it official.
- Marcus Peters at one CB, who is at the other spot? Greg Ducre has played some great ball for us and Tre Watson is available for us too. And then there's guys like Travell Dixon, Cleveland Wallace, Brandon Beaver…just a matter of who steps up when their number is called.
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins. He has a court date on July 15th and then once his legal issues are squared he can move on to the team and what needs to be taken care of there. He's done everything asked of him up to this point. He is working out with the team right now and there have been meetings with him recently. He seems like he's in a good place and we'll monitor it to make sure everything has been taken care of.
- Position battles to watch this fall…the corners, the receivers, running back…great competition all over the place. Also the defensive line too.
- His take on Keith Price…Two things: He's in the best physical shape since he's been here. Really has gotten explosive. He's in a great frame of mind from a leadership standpoint. All those things leading up to this, I'm excited about where he is right now. He's getting pushed though. There are a lot of talented guys behind him. But I've never felt better about where Keith is at.
- Husky Stadium and the Boise State game…never mind the stadium, we have a chance for payback. We'll be ready to go. It'll be a tremendous setting. Want to make sure the place is packed by the time we come running out of the tunnel.
- When does fall camp start? Team reports August 4th, practices start August 5th.
- With the success of the Alumni hoops game, what about an Alumni flag football game? Who would be the first QB one in? Tui probably would be the first one in, but Warren Moon, Jake Locker, Mark Brunell…the Huards. It would be amazing. Think about Mario Bailey running around, Cory Dillon, Dashon Goldson, Tony Parrish, Lawyer Milloy…there have obviously been so many amazing Huskies out there. Throw Napoleon Kaufman some swing routes and see what happens.
To listen to the full interview, click HERE
Dawgman.com Recommended Stories
SALEM, Ore. - Kim Grinolds and Chris Fetters of Dawgman.com broke down the good, bad, and downright ugly from Washington's 45-20 loss at the hands of Oregon - their 11th-straight win over the Huskies…Read More
Video Interviews - Oregon
EUGENE - Dawgman.com was at Autzen Stadium Saturday night as the Oregon Ducks defeated the Washington Huskies 45-20. We spoke with UW Head Coach Chris Petersen, Offensive Coordinator Jonathan Smith,…Read More
Photo Gallery - Oregon
EUGENE - Dawgman.com's Kim Grinolds was at Autzen Stadium Saturday night, as the Washington Huskies couldn't hang with the Oregon Ducks, 45-20 in front of an announced crowd of 57,858.Read More
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More